Friday, February 27, 2015

No, It Didn't Snow

It didn't snow. 
The Governor called it a state of emergency in our lovely Southern state. 
The meteorologists called for as much as 10 inches. (That's a lot of snow in the Deep South!)
School preemptively closed as well as public buildings like the Library.
Our local Farmer's Market bragged on Facebook about a new shipment of sleds. I bought one of the last ones.
It started snowing as we were going to sleep. I fell asleep in child like anticipation of the beautiful white blanket that would greet me in the morning. 
I couldn't wait to lumber out into the snow with my toddler and my husband. (We have a steep hill in our front yard that's perfect for sledding.)
None of that happened.
I woke up some time in the middle of the night and I could hear a strange noise from outside. It was the sound of rain hitting a very light dusting of snow in our yard.
When we got up at 7:00, my husband was already gone to work. I immediately peeked out the window in anticipation. 
"Please, just let it be enough to play in." I prayed.
My yard wasn't blanketed in white anymore. 
My yard was soaked. My yard was a giant muddy puddle. 

I turned on the computer to find the whole world making fun of us. We, the silly Southerners who shut down the world for 1 inch of snow. 
On the television the local meteorologists were apologizing and blaming a "model" they use for prediction for their mistake. I don't know anything about meteorology, but boy did they blow it this time!

Flag of South Carolina.svg

This is the South. My beloved South. We just held up our heads and silently berated the weather men while enjoying our day off. 
We took all the jokes in stride. We're used to this sort of thing after all and it would be bad manners to start pointing fingers at the Governor or the meteorologists. It would be bad manners to get ourselves all worked up about such a silly thing.

It didn't snow. We probably won't see any snow this year.
Next week, it's supposed to be warm, in the 60s. I don't know if it will be, but I do know that Spring is on the way.

I would have enjoyed sledding in the snow, but I'm really going to enjoy walking around in shorts and flip flops while the rest of you are still wearing coats and jeans, so laugh it up y'all. 

Don't worry. We'll still welcome you with open arms when you drive down to Myrtle Beach this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment