Saturday, May 16, 2015

Forgiving Ourselves When We Make Mistakes

I'm a Christian, but that doesn't make me immune to sin. I make mistakes just like everyone else. As Jesus says, we all fall short every day. 
Still, when I make a mistake, it weighs heavily on me. Even after I ask for forgiveness, I feel weighted down. I know that The Bible says in Micah 7:19 "Once again you will have compassion on us. You will trample our sins under your feet and throw them into the depths of the ocean."  
I know that when I ask for forgiveness, God immediately forgives me.  He hears my repentant heart and wipes away the stain because I am washed in The blood of Jesus.
So why can I let it go? Why do I keep chewing on it in my mind as a way of making myself "pay" for it? 
I think it's because it's so hard for me to wrap my head around that sort of instant forgiveness. People don't love like that, not without God working in us. 
I think it's also because I'm afraid I'll sin again.  I will. In fact, as the scripture says, I'll sin every day. I'm human so I sin. In fact, the only thing keeping me from making the same sinful mistakes again and again is Jesus in me, the Holy Spirit.

Lord, 
I pray today that I will be able to forgive myself as you had forgiven me when I make mistakes.  I pray that I will trust completly in your love and mercy.  
I pray that I won't let my mistakes stop me from accomplishing the tasks you have set for me or receiving the blessings you have in store. 
Amen 

I hope that you'll pray that prayer with me and for me. Mistakes are inevitable, but they shouldn't cause us to give up or doubt that we are capable of accomplishing our goals. I hope you won't let your setbacks define your life.

-Crazy Earth Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment