Thursday, October 19, 2017

"I Can Read" Books Make Reading Exciting!

Our Mother Goose Time preschool journey hasn't always been what I expected.  We are enjoying participating in the monthly themes and lessons we receive in our school bus box free of charge (in exchange for our reviews here on the blog). However, there have been some surprises along the way!

One wonderful surprise has been the "I Can Read" Books and the effect they're having on my older son.  When I jumped on the Mother Goose Time bandwagon, I expected that it would be an excellent fit for the girls (both age 2) and that Noah (nearly 5) would enjoy joining in from time to time with some of the activities and games.




Noah is learning to read this year. The "I Can Read" books from Mother Goose Time are very simple books that encourage emergent reading. I've always believed that to keep a child interested in learning, they need to meet with success early on in order to be encouraged to keep learning and assured that they can achieve their educational goals. The "I Can Read" books are helping to provide that for Noah.


Last week, in our Autumn themed lesson, we started a new "I Can Read" book with different objectives for the girls and for Noah. The girls spent time listening to me read as they flipped through their books and excitedly identifying the things pictured.

For his part, Noah used the sight word arrows to help him identify and point to different words in the book as he did his best to help me read the story. He was so proud of himself! That evening, when his dad got home, Noah insisted on showing him all the words he had learned in the "I Can Read" book.


We are loving practicing reading comprehension with Mother Goose Time's "I Can Read" books and we're learning that one of the best things about Mother Goose Time curriculum is the way it fits a variety of ages simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment