Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Homeschooling Week #2

This week is all about The Emperor's New Clothes.

I always try to relate our fairy tales back to bible lessons. We are practicing the habits of attention, truthfulness, and obedience right now. 
I really like The Emperor's New Clothes because I kept thinking of different bible lessons that would go well with the book. Here are the two I chose to focus on:

1. God made me special!

Job 33:4 "For the spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the almighty gives me life."

We are special because God made us, not because of anything we do or wear, not because of how we look.  In the book. the emperor wants new clothes because he believes he needs a new outfit for everything. His outfits make him special, he thinks. We know that it isn't our clothes that make us special - it's our Lord who made us special when he created us in His image. 

2. God wants me to tell the truth.

This is a new lesson for Noah. We haven't really focused on telling the truth much in the past. However, he's starting to learn the difference between reality and make-believe. So, I think it's a good time for the lesson. 

The bible verse I'm using is Ephesians 4:15 "Love should always make us tell the truth. Then we will grow in every way and be more like Christ, the head."

The people in the story do not tell the truth to the emperor. They are afraid to tell him that they cannot see his clothes, so they lie. In the end, someone does tell him the truth. The person who tells the truth really loves the emperor and, in the end, that person is the hero of the story because he told the truth. Telling the truth is always the right thing to do.

Activities for this week:

We are playing dress up! Noah loves to play dress up with my clothes. He likes to put on my shirts and wear my shoes. He likes to dress up in his daddy's clothes too. This week, we will pretend to be the emperor by dressing up and walking down the red carpet (our hallway happens to have red carpet).



We are also going to spend some time playing with paper dolls. I found some very cute paper dolls that can be printed for free over at Royal Baloo. I've included the link so you can get these great 4 Seasons paper dolls too.  This should also provide a great lead into talking about appropriate clothing for the weather (since someone doesn't want to wear a coat when it's cold or shoes when we go outside).
         http://royalbaloo.com/downloads3/seasons-paper-dolls

I found a super cute Muppet's version of the Emperor's New Clothes that we can watch on You Tube. I don't often use movies for teaching, but I think a short film like this every once in a while is new and fun. I plan to          try having a conversation about the differences between the book and the film. I'll let you know how that goes. 
             " The Muppets - The Emperor's New Clothes" by XOtericate 

-The Crazy Earth Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment